Growing flowering summer bulbs like pink calla lilies brings bold color and showy blossoms into the home garden. Prized for their interesting appearance and height of approximately 30 inches, the calla lily flower, though not a true flower, exhibits a flared shape surrounding the yellow spadix, a thick protrusion.Though calla lilies bloom in a variety of colors including pinks, whites, yellows and reds, they all require similar care. Versatile plants, your pink calla lilies are well-suited to both the indoor and outdoor gardening space.
things you’ll need:
- 5-10-5 fertilizer
- Organic mulch
- Containers (optional)
- Plant your calla lilies in areas of the garden that provide full sun to partially shaded conditions. Move your plants to areas that offer full sun exposure, when possible, as any amount of shade may cause the vibrant pink of your calla lily to fade or to blossom with poor color.
- Irrigate your pink calla lilies regularly or plant them near a natural water source like a pond, as these flowers thrive in moist to wet soils, rich in humus.
- Fertilize pink calla lilies once every spring season. Apply a 5-10-5 fertilizer to soil after you plant your flowers.
- Add a 6-inch layer of organic mulch like shredded bark to the soil surrounding your pink calla lilies without pressing the bark directly against plant stems. Lay mulch as a means of keeping soil warm during periods of cold weather, to keep weeds at bay and as a method of retaining soil moisture.
- Place flowers in containers and move them indoors when temperatures fall below 25 degrees Fahrenheit as cold injury will occur.
Tips & Warnings
Grow pink calla lilies in U.S. Department of Agriculture hardiness zones 2 to 8 as a container plant, in the ground with mulch in zone 8, and with or without mulch in the ground in zones 9 to 11.
Practice caution when gardening with calla lilies. Wear gardening gloves when handling these flowers and keep them away from children, pets and livestock. Do not ingest calla lilies as all parts of this plants are poisonous and can lead to death, particularly in smaller children and animals. Symptoms include swollen, burning mouth and digestive trauma like diarrhea. Immediately contact 911 or a poison control center if ingestion occurs.