How To Bonsai?
Often I am at an awe to answer a how to bonsai question. Its not that I don’t love doing it, infact I enjoy every moment of it, but then there is so much time and so lot to be shared.
Here I will share some of my thoughts on some of the questions that I have been asked a lot.
To begin with let us understand the meaning of bonsai. Bonsai is an art of replicating mature trees found in nature into miniature forms with the same maturity.
A wannabe bonsai artist must have a good understanding of the horticultural principles along with an artistic sense which would enable the artist to give proper shape and size to the bonsai plant. Some important aspects of growing bonsai include personal creativity and imagination, understanding and using the principles in an appropriate manner.
Here’s a list of some of the vital steps that a beginner must know about
- There are numerous tree species in nature and it is not possible to convert every species into bonsai. So when you ask the question of how to bonsai, first try and decide on the species that you would like to work upon.
Consider the climatic conditions in your area before fixing a particular species. In addition to the species also decide on the size to which you would like your bonsai to grow.
You may either go for a miniature size which would be as tall as 6 inches or large bonsai trees which would be around 36 inches tall. Not all tree species are suitable for each size; hence it is important to take this into consideration before deciding on the tree.
- Once you have taken the first step of your how to bonsai answer list, the next step would be to decide how do you want to grow it, meaning do you want to grow it from seeds, or get one from the nursery, or may be try to propagate from an existing plant.
- Selecting the right pot goes a long way in ensuring that your bonsai stays in the limits of size and shape that you have set for your plant. It should be big enough to hold enough soil such that the roots of the plant stay covered. Choosing a large pot would distort the image of miniaturization.
Ensure that the bonsai pot has enough drainage holes. Keep in mind the aesthetic appeal of the pot as it makes a lot of difference to the overall beauty of the plant.
- The exercise of removing excessive growth off the plant is called as pruning. Pruning should be a very important part of your how to bonsai regime. Each species has its own pruning season. Pruning involves trimming of the leaves, branches and the roots among other subtle techniques.
- You need to re pot bonsai every one or two years, to ensure it stays healthy and growing. While re potting chose a pot with proper shape and size. Cover the drainage holes with a wire mesh to prevent loosing excessive soil while watering the plant.
- It is essential to provide adequate amount of sunlight and watering that your bonsai needs. Every tree has its own specific requirements, so you must pay good attention to these details.
- Fertilization and protection from pest attacks is something that every gardener should know. Proper and judicious use of fertilizers and insecticides is an essential part of the bonsai care regime.
Hopefully I have answered some of your how to bonsai questions to a satisfactory level. Please browse through the website for relevant answers that you might be seeking to your questions on bonsai.