How to Start Ivy Geraniums
Ivy geraniums are one breed of geraniums that can be grown from seeds. Ivy geraniums make a beautiful addition to any room inside your home or as decoration for the outside areas of your home. Ivy geraniums tend to bloom 12 to 16 weeks after planting and seem to bloom best in the springtime; for best results, be sure to buy your seed packets and planting materials in time to have the seeds potted and ready to grow in by mid-January.
- Moderately Challenging
Things You’ll Need
- Ivy geranium seed packets
- Paper towels
- Locking sandwich bag
- Commercial mix potting soil
- Pot (One for each plant)
- Gardening gloves (optional)
- Water spray bottle
- Plastic bag
- Twist tie
- Wet seeds. Ivy geranium seeds tend to have a tough outer shell; wet a paper towel and place the seeds on one-half of the dampened paper towel. Fold the half of the wet paper towel over the top of the seeds, place inside of a closed sandwich baggie and set aside for 24 hours.
- Prepare planting soil. Wet the commercial growing mix soil before putting it into the planting pots. Add enough water so the soil feels like a damp sponge and then set aside to allow the soil to absorb some of the moisture.
- Fill pots. Add the damp soil to each pot, leaving approximately 1 inch from the soil to the top of the pot. Push 2 or 3 ivy geranium seeds into the soil (2 to 3 seeds per pot) approximately one-eighth to one-quarter of inch under the soil add squirt a couple of times with a water spray bottle.
- Germinate the plants. Place the pot in a plastic bag and tie it shut with a twist tie. Place the bagged pots in a warm place with a temperature of 70 to 75 degrees.
- Grow sprouts. When you see green sprouts emerging from the soil, uncover the top of the potted plant to allow air to reach the plant, but do not remove it from the bag entirely. Place the plants where it receives light sun.
- Grow plants. When the plant grows leaves, remove it from the bag completely. Allow the plant seedling to continue to grow in an area where it receives light.