articlepagemain_ehow_images_a07_1n_10_purpleconeflowerleavespoisonousanimals_800x800.jpg

Are Purple Coneflower Leaves Poisonous to Animals?


article-page-main_ehow_images_a07_1n_10_purple-coneflower-leaves-poisonous-animals_-800x800

Purple coneflower, also known as echinacea, is used for a variety of medicinal purposes in humans and is not known to produce toxic effects if ingested by animals. Purple coneflower blooms attract birds and butterflies.

Potential

  • The leaves of the purple coneflower are not poisonous to animals. This plant is not known to cause symptoms of plant toxicity or intense gastrointestinal symptoms.

Effects

  • While not considered poisonous, animals that ingest any plant can suffer from uncomfortable symptoms such as diarrhea and vomiting. Allergic reactions can occur with plant ingestion, as well as choking.

Prevention/Solution

  • Ingestion of purple coneflower leaves should not cause symptoms of plant poisoning in animals. However, any animal that suffers from severe or long-lasting symptoms should visit a veterinarian for a full evaluation. Take a sample of the coneflower and leaves for proper plant identification.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>