Angel trumpet plants are fairly easy to grow, and can be started easily from seed in the spring. They grow quickly and can be trained to take different shapes, but are most commonly trimmed into a tree shape. A tree shape gives plenty of space for blooms and encourages the plant to create lots of flowers. Despite their beauty, all parts of the angel trumpet plant are poisonous. Take care in handling that plants as well as in selecting a planting site that is well out of reach of pets and children.
- Moderately Easy
things you’ll need:
- Manure or fertilizer
- Gardening gloves
- Choose an appropriate site for your angel trumpet plant. Full sun is preferable, but angel trumpet plants will grow in partial shade. Also make sure the site is protected from wind and is away from areas where pets and children play.
- Mix manure or fertilizer into the soil where you plan to plant. Break up any clumps and loosen the soil at least 6 to 8 inches at the planting site. If you are planting in a pot, add a layer of rocks on the bottom followed by a layer of sand to improve drainage.
- Plant the seeds about 1/4 quarter inch deep.
- Water the seeds as soon as you plant, and continue watering regularly, never allowing the soil to dry out. Angel trumpet plants enjoy a lot of moisture. Do not allow them to remain in dry soil conditions for very long or they will begin to wilt quickly.
- Fertilize regularly. Angel trumpet plants should be fertilized about every four weeks with a general purpose fertilizer.
- Prune the plant after the first "Y" grows near the base. Cut old growth away and shape the plant as desired. Blooms will appear at the end of stems, so plan accordingly. For a profusion of blooms, shape the plant like a tree, with a strong, straight stem in the center and a bushy top.
Tips & Warnings
Prune a little at a time, step away and check the shape, then resume pruning to make sure you are getting the shape you want.
Wear gloves when handling trumpet plants to avoid coming in contact with the highly poisonous parts. Keep children and pets away from angel trumpet plants to avoid accidental poisoning.