Growing from Seed
Propagate butterfly weed by seed, according to Michigan State University, or by division in spring. Pre-chilled seed will readily germinate at 70 to 75 degrees within 3 to 4 weeks of planting. Butterfly weed has a long taproot, which needs to remain intact for successful transplanting.
Choose a site in full sun where the butterfly weed can spread. According to the University of Florida Extension, Asclepias tuberosa tolerates most soils, but doesn’t like being disturbed once planted.
Planting and Care
Space plants 24 inches apart, being careful not to damage the taproot. Mark the planting location because plants are late to appear in spring.
- Butterfly Weed Vs. Milkweed
- Growing Butterfly Weed
- Tips on Growing Butterfly Weed From Seed
- When Do You Plant Butterfly Weed Seeds?
- How to Plant Butterfly Weed Seeds
- Information on the Butterfly Weed Plant
- Is Butterfly Weed an Annual or Perennial?
- How to Start Butterfly Weed
- My Butterfly Weed Leaves Are Turning Yellow
- Butterfly Weed Seeds