Butterfly weed is a North American native wildflower that blooms in shades of yellow, red and orange.
things you’ll need:
- Bypass Pruners
- Garden Hoses
- Garden Trowels
Choosing Butterfly Weed
- Look for plants at nurseries in late spring through summer, and into fall in warmer climates.
- Buy plants in 4-inch to 1-gallon containers; small plants transplant better.
- Choose healthy-looking plants with signs of new growth in leaves and flower buds.
Planting Butterfly Weed
- Plant butterfly weed in full sun in well-drained soil.
- Add a light application of organic fertilizer to the planting hole.
- Place the plants no deeper than they were growing in the containers.
- Set the plants 1 foot apart.
- Mulch around but not on top of the plants with 3 inches of organic compost.
- Water well until soil is completely moist.
Caring for Butterfly Weed
- Cut off dead stems in late winter or early spring using bypass pruners.
- Watch out when you’re digging in the garden in spring – butterfly weed starts growing late in the spring.